Top 5 Things Indie-Authors Should Avoid (or How to Avoid the Trappings of Indie Fame and Fortune)
No one can deny that self-publishing is a glamorous vocation. If you are an indie, you know what I mean. But, I urge you not to get caught up with the trappings of the indie-author lifestyle; try to remain humble. The following is a list of general suggestions. I am an indie children’s book author, but the guidelines can be tailored to suit your own needs.
- Do NOT do this when your Amazon sales reach double digits.
- Resist the urge to wear your fur coat when opening rejection letters.
- It’s probably best not to eat caviar while cutting out your home-made bookmarks.
- Your hair and make-up team is not necessary when posting selfies of you and your book.
- Don’t forget the little people; kids are the best fans!
I try my best to stay humble, despite my oh-so-glamorous life as an indie kids’ book author.
But it is hard…
when I work in a place like this-
with assistants like these-
So, my indie friends, enjoy the fame that comes with what we do. You are rock-stars! Embrace it! Write on!