Writing a book is a lot of work (understatement of the century). But, self-publishing that sucker makes writing it look like a walk in the park. I was recently trying to explain the process to a good friend of mine. She and her husband are renovating an old Victorian home. As we were swapping “sweat-equity” stories, it dawned on me…the two endeavors are not that dissimilar. The only difference, I told her, is that self-publishing for the first time, is like building your own house, but with no experience, no blueprints, and no tools. Here are my top-ten reasons that self-publishing a book is like building a house.
- It always takes longer than you planned
- It always costs more than you planned
- It’s really exciting at first, then it begins to consume your entire life
- Agonizing over the simplest detail seems normal
- You wake up, at least once a night…
View original post 64 more words